Why hello there. I hope everyone out there had a merry little Christmas. For those of you who were wondering, I am still alive and well – just not running/walking/working out for very much beer lately. Oh there’s beer, but very little activity involved with it – unless raising the bottle to my lips counts as a bicep curl. Like everyone else, this time of year keeps me very busy, but I hope to be back in the swing of things soon and blogging more regularly. In the meantime, it’s time to play “What’s in the Crockpot?”!
What’s in the Crockpot?
(Also known as Christmas Chicken Chili – ok, maybe I just call it that.)
Since I spent most of my nights leading up to the holiday shopping and/or baking cookies, I wanted an easy crock pot recipe that was filling and, of course, delicious. Plus we have a lot of frozen chicken! The red and green peppers gave the chili a little bit of holiday flair. The Trader Joe’s Holiday Tortilla Chips I served with the dish also helped!
About 1 lb of boneless, skinless chicken breast (raw)
15 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
15 oz can of northern white beans, drained and ringed
Can of crushed tomatoes (about 14.5 oz)
Small can of green chilies
4 oz of tomato sauce
2 Tablespoons of white wine or beer
Jalapeño pepper (1 or 2 depending on how spicy you like it), seeded and diced
One green bell pepper, diced
One red pepper, diced
One small yellow onion, diced
A pinch of oregano
1 – 2 teaspoon(s) of chili powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cut up the chicken breast into 1/2 – 1 inch pieces and place into crock pot.
2. Add beans, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce and chilies to the chicken.
3. Add the diced peppers and onions.
4. Add spices and wine/beer. Stir well.
5. Cook on low setting for 7-9 hours. Remember, chili can slow cook for a while – it only enhances the flavors.
6. Serve with reduced fat cheddar cheese, sour cream and tortilla chips.
Makes about 4 servings. Approximately 10-11 PointsPlus per serving (not including garnishes).